Monday, 26 September 2016

A 3 MONTH BLOGGERVERSARY?

When I started blogging in June to keep track of our family reading challenge, I had no idea what I was about to embark on. Three months later and, although I remain very much a novice blogger, I wanted to mark Along Came Poppy's bloggerversary by reflecting upon my experiences so far.

So, what have I learned?

  • I am a bit (OK very) technically inept! I was very proud of myself when I initially set up the blog but three months on and I am yet to go self hosted and still have daily issues with formatting. Navigating the blogosphere has itself been quite challenging too but with a few pointers from some brilliant bloggers, I am starting to find my feet. The following posts have been particularly useful:
  • Top Tips for a Successful Blog from A Mum Track Mind
  • Bamboozled by Blogging from Over Heaven’s Hill
  • Blogging is incredibly time consuming. I quickly discovered that writing content is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to blogging. I spend a lot (probably too much) time on social media. I also join in with linky parties to share my posts with other bloggers and read other blogs for inspiration. I confess I don't have much spare time with two little ones at home all the time so it is a good job I am a night owl!
  • There is an amazing and supportive network of bloggers out there willing to share their own tips and technical knowledge. I have found these linkys particularly encouraging to join in with:
  • KCACOLS hosted by A Moment With Franca  
  • Word of the Week hosted by The Reading Residence
  • Read With Me hosted by Mama Mummy Mum

Our achievements:

  • As well as reviewing a vast number of children's books and sharing our recommendations on the blog, I also decided to share a little about our family life. I have particularly enjoyed raising awareness of Ectodermal Dysplasia, Jeans for Genes Day and National Eczema Week. 
  • I have been amazed by the number of visitors we have had to the blog and I have been completely overwhelmed by the positive feedback we have received. I am thrilled each time someone tells me they have enjoyed a book we have recommended and I love reading your comments!
  • Our three most popular posts so far have been:
  • Word of the week: Kindness
  • 366 Books in 366 Days: Miffy’s Birthday Review and Giveaway
  • Review: H is for Haemodialysis
  • However, the post that makes me smile the most is: A poem to my daughter on her first day of school
  • Pre-blogging I was already fairly active on Twitter and Instagram. I continue to post our daily book choice photos to Instagram. We now have over 880 followers on IG and 1,640 on Twitter.

Looking to the future:

  • I aim to continue to post at least one bookish post a week and a Word of the Week post, which may relate to family life, parenting, days out or blogging (a bit of everything). I will continue to do product reviews as and when the opportunities arise.
  • I intend to go self hosted but I am currently slightly terrified by this prospect. I wish I had chosen to be self hosted from the start - why didn't I listen to all the experienced bloggers out there?!
  • I would like to build relationships with authors, illustrators and publishers, and perhaps, join in with a Book Blog Tour at some stage (if we are very lucky).
  • We do have a few other product reviews in the pipeline and I hope to do a bit of vlogging with the Mini Reviewers as they enjoy making little videos!
  • Most importantly I hope that we continue to enjoy our #366booksin366days reading challenge and everything the blog brings. Here's to the next three months!

Thank you for reading and for your continuing support.
Kate and the Mini Reviewers x

The Reading Residence
Word of the Week: Bloggerversary!

2 comments:

  1. Lots of new vocabulary for me. Love the latest picture of Poppy! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your 3 month anniversary hun! It's a big milestone in the blogging world. I'll be watching on for your six month anniversary post :)

    ReplyDelete